October 1, 2012

SHIP CUP

Time to share one of my many projects for the Surprise Pirate Party we threw for my aunt's 60th Birthday. My family is a big fan of flip cup so to celebrate the pirate theme I create a SHIP CUP table. Essentially it was a regular 6ft table made to look like a pirate ship that was still functional for the game of flip cup.

Supplies used:
- 1 gold/light tan plastic table cloth
- 2 dark brown plastic table cloth
- 1 white plastic table cloth
- 2 wrapping paper rolls
- 1 roll black duct tape
- 2 half inch dowel rods
- 1 inch diameter dowel rod
- Medium sized packing box - must be tall as the table
- large black permanent marker

Gold table cloth was used on the top. I drew what I thought a pirate ship would like from an aerial view. In hindsight many of my items weren't to scale. I recommend a few measurements or a reference point.
Using half of a cardboard box I created the bow and stern of the boat. This was just to give shape to the side table cloths. The boxes don't have to be pretty in any way.

Front of the boat from an aerial view. I tried to make it pointy but not too extreme.

Underneath I used dowel rods to fortify the structure. This kept the sides from folding in, and it made it more structurally sound for the amount of duct tape I put on it.


On the dark brown table cloths we drew wooden planks. Then these were used to wrap the pirate ship from bow to stern so it looked like the side of the boat. **Note** you'll have to strategically tape the sides of the table cloth to the inside table legs to keep the sides taut. Again, it doesn't need to be pretty.
Using the wrapping paper rolls and white table cloth I created the mast. The 1 inch dowel rod is useful to make the mast more sturdy.


 

Here is the view from the top while we played Ship Cup, and how the front of the boat looked when completed. This was a great addition to our pirate parrrrty!

No comments:

Post a Comment